Monday, January 11, 2010

Peeby PAST AND PRESENT

I didn’t start off as a cartoonist. But as I continue to draw my characters some little item or element jogs my memory to remind me of something in the past, often quite unrelated. But if you were to find my cartoons fun, why would you want to read about me - about what happened in some distant past? Well like many other people I’ve done lots of things in my life to ‘earn a bob or two’ as they would say back in Britain. That career has taken me to various parts of the world and I’ve met many interesting characters, not least my wife who’s an American and why we’re now here. Perhaps some of my experiences are sufficiently different to yours that you may enjoy my telling about some parts of my life whether as Peeby at www.peebycartoons.com or simply Peter Betts.

So in no particular order but linked as a memory to my cartoons I’ll give some reminiscences of being a film extra including working on a few Johnny Depp films; my time attempting to do business in Burma (now Myanmar); my days as a Marketing Manager in large Corporations such as Philips amongst other things.

And then there’s my family. My wife Pat Silver Lasky was an actress and is a writer of past successes such as The Avengers. Her daughter Lisa Hayden Miller is now writing cook books and her son Dr. Richard Niles is everything to do with music and orchestrated and arranged for the likes of Sir Paul McCartney. When I met Paul he serenaded me…but more of that later. My son Graham Betts is an A&R man in the music business and has written 25 assorted books on either soccer or music. His latest is out now…
 


ISBN 978 1904674 10 8- It’s out now and available on Amazon

And since it maybe relevant let me start on one cartoon that I drew for Michael Jackson and the story that evolved around that. The spoon bender, psychic Uri Geller is possibly better known in Europe than America. In 2001 when it came to renewing his wedding vows at his home near Reading, south west of London he wanted Michael as his best man. His home is delightful with a garden large enough for a marquee to house the 200 or so guests who were invited and for the odd helicopter to drop in. We were among the guests, my wife being a longstanding friend of Uri’s. He bent spoons for us at our wedding reception – but again, that’s another story… Below is the only photo I managed to get in the great melée that was Uri’s wedding with Michael Jackson (despite a broken ankle and the reason for my cartoon) surrounded by his bodyguards.




Michael Jackson left, rear view, Bodyguard front view, Uri Geller right, side view!!

When the Michael ensemble arrived via the back garden by helicopter he was over an hour late. By that time everybody had used up all the chit chat with little-known semi-celebs. That was despite there being British TV interviewer David Frost, David Blaine (the illusionist) and many others. To overcome the delay the hosts suggested we start eating the post-celebration buffet before the event. We practically leapt upon the waiters and waitresses and promptly devoured the nibbles. On arrival, Jackson and his bodyguards quickly entered Uri’s house and barred anyone else from entering. I had hoped that I might get his autograph on one of the three copies of the cartoon I had drawn. I was only able to pass them to a bodyguard on the other side of a one inch gap of the opened door. I have good memories of Uri and his wife Hanna’s reaffirmed vows. Next day Uri rang Pat and asked how she thought the event went. Pat mentioned the hour or more delay waiting for Michael Jackson. ‘Oh well’ said Uri ‘I guess it was worth a £1million of publicity.’ If I were a philosopher I’d say that means ‘accept fate’ or ‘out of bad can come good’

When Uri heard the terrible June 2009 news I gave him permission to display my cartoon on his website www.UriGeller.com. See it under About Uri/Uri’s tribute to Michael Jackson and remember the good times associated with Michael Jackson.



The cartoon shows Uri’s house and his famous Cadillac festooned with bent cutlery.


More soon. Watch this space… Your comments would be appreciated

No comments:

Post a Comment