Sunday, June 6, 2010

World Cup Fever


More about this little guy, later...

The World Cup Fever is about to start in earnest - or should I say in South Africa? To every other country that has taken the sport to its heart and feet it's Football - apart from where I'm newly domiciled - USA where it's Soccer. So, in the hope that US-based readers will understand me, forgive me if I refer to it as Soccer, for now...

The book alongside was written by my son. Since he's 8 hours adrift from me - in less-sunny Aston Clinton, England I can't ask him if it's still in print - but it's published by Sutton Publishing, ISBN No. 0-7509-4490-0.

Even the US papers are picking up on the forthcoming event, giving more coverage in one day than they have practically in the rest of the year. An exaggeration - but not much. It gave the LA Times, being the paper in the 'company town' meaning Hollywood - an opportunity to discuss 'Cinematic Soccer' and we all know what a farce 'Victory' was starring Sylvester Stallone. They also mentioned 'Damned United' which I thought was excellent, equally Michael Sheen who took time out from looking like Tony Blair to look and speak like 'Cloughie', Brian Clough.

They also spent a good part of the article on Gurinder Chadha's 'Bend it like Beckham'. I was interested in that having not only seen the film, but was in it as an extra - playing an onlooker. The photos here are a reminder for me.

I see it was way back in 2001 and I remember it was at a park in Hounslow - a Pakistani enclave outside London. The two old 'biddies' in the rear are actually Tottenham Hotspur (Spurs) supporter, Gurinder Chadha and her mom. The two front runners are Keira Knightley and Parminder Nagra before Keira became very famous and especially rich from Chanel and Parminder starred in ER - after George Clooney moved to films.  The shot never made it to the big screen although the director had intended that one shot of the two oldies would morph into the two youngsters. The film also starred Jonathan Rhys Meyers long before he became Henry the Eighth.

So back to the little guy. he's my creation - a soccer nut. But as many as 20 weeks of cartoon strips have been drawn when I was in London, I'm having to update his dialogue because when I used the expression 'dummied his opponent', one young US reader was perplexed. So if there's anyone out there reading my blog, help me out will you?  I need to be sure the words make sense to my new-found American audience.

Let me introduce Kicker and his Friends:
Kicker  - This soccer dude lives the game, both playing and watching. A typical fan - never satisfied with the team. Reckons he knows more than both coach & chairman. He’s sure he could do both their jobs. Always ready to voice an opinion to his gang whether they want to hear it or not.
Left to Right
Trevor  - His friend is a computer nerd, & a walking soccer database. Always has his mobile/Ipod on hand to fill Kicker in. That’s why he’s ‘Trivia Trev.’
Freddie - They call him ‘Fweddie’ - that’s what his little sister calls him. Often joins Kicker for the team’s games. He walks & wears clothes a little oddly, but usually has the measure of Kicker.
Fredricka  - ‘Fwedwicka’ is ‘Fweddie’s’ little sister. Only five & already a fashion victim. Knows nothing about ‘footie’ but insists on being part of the action. We never see her face.
‘Skins’ - Kicker’s soccer playing friend ‘Skins’ looks tough but is really a softie. Loves his mom and idolizes Kicker.
Left to Right
‘Didi’ - Candide - ‘Didi’ is a tomboy girl of Mexican origin. Maybe more fanatical & a better player than Kicker. This galls him intensely especially as she thinks he’s ‘cute’.
‘BritKid’ - So newly arrived, he still speaks ‘BritSpeak’. His soccer terms amuse his U.S. friends.
‘Pepi’ - Another soccer-mad youngster, Mexican. origin. On the fringes of Kicker’s crowd but his passion for soccer bonds him to Kicker. 
More cartoon strips to follow later. Please send me your comments.
Thanks
Peeby

No comments:

Post a Comment