Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Klinsmann, U.S. soccer coach: his Spurs connections & my memories

Jurgen Klinsmann’s appointment as U.S. soccer coach stirred up many memories, beginning with his days as a favorite Tottenham Hotspurs (Spurs) player. I picked out one of my son’s many books and noted his comments. Klinsmann ‘had also acquired a reputation as something of a diver, quick to fall to the ground inside the penalty area when touched by a defender. At his first press conference after signing for Spurs, he disarmed the assembled media by politely asking where the nearest diving club was.’ So thwarting the ‘typical German stereotype’ - Klinsmann proved he had a sense of humor and allied himself to the club’s fans, my son and me alike. He’s spent enough time in the USA to understand what they expect of him – and has had the experience of managing the German national side. We wish him well.


The book featured is ISBN 978-1-906229-13-9.

My father’s team had been Spurs and so it became mine and later my son’s and his children’s. The very first game I saw was a testimonial for one of the players who’d lost both his lower limbs through the sport. It was a sobering sight to see Willie Hall hobble onto the field on crutches before Spurs played the Combined Services XI, this being just after World War II.  That memory remained with me when I considered if I were good enough I could get paid £12 ($18) a week during the winter and £8 ($12) a week during the close season. And for that I might get permanently injured. Nevertheless I was a soccer-mad kid throwing myself on the graveled street getting dirty and scuffed in the course of playing in goal.


My antics were noticed by a neighbor who worked at Spurs and asked my parents if I would care to accompany her as she needed help. Would I? I didn’t hesitate for a moment. And so it was that I would take pots of tea to the players at half and full time. I got to sit in the press box or at the front of the ground. Lovely memories. And I was there every match whether it was the first team or the reserves, third team or very occasionally, the juniors.


This time I was in the stands watching the juniors and yelling for the tall center half. ‘Come on Marchi’ (March-ee). In exasperation a woman behind me cuffed my ear and yelled ‘It’s MarK-EYE… I’m his mum.’  So she should know and I obediently started yelling for Mark-EYE, not at all troubled or thinking about her laying her hands on me. It wasn’t done in those pre-PC days.


Years later I told the story to my son. When he met Tony Marchi he recounted the story only for Tony to refute it with ‘My mother never came to see me play.’  To this day I’ve not been able to convince my son that it really happened. If you’re reading this, Graham take it from me- it was true! Listen to your dad…!


Another time, one of Marchi’s fellow junior players Derek Possee knew my marketing background and wondered if I could help his desire to start a soccer school in California. It had been done before by the great Stanley Matthews. Nevertheless Derek was grateful when I flew over and first met him in Los Angeles where his team Vancouver White Caps had just tied a match with the LA Aztecs which included another great dribbling wizard, George Best. It meant that Vancouver needed to win against the Seattle Sockers to reach the playoffs. Is there anyone out there who remembers these times? So I traveled to Vancouver, who won the game and as I departed I said “I’m currently on a roll – shake hands and share my luck.”


It seemed to work. They next met New York Cosmos and beat them which created a great furor. New York didn’t like being beaten by the underdogs – who does? – and in frustration literally ‘wanted the head’ of the association, Phil Woosnam – who despite much pressure, kept his job. The White Caps went on to win the 1979 Soccer Bowl 2-1 against The Tampa Bay Rowdies with another footballing legend Rodney Marsh.



Subsequently I read that Derek had great success as Head Coach with Canada’s under 16’s team and later was the driving force behind British Columbia Soccer Association Program of Soccer Excellence.  It’s good to see the professionals passing on their knowledge to good effect. Well done Derek!

Now I’m off to read other relevant facts & trivia from my son Graham Betts’ 35 books listed on Amazon. All entertaining reads. So until the new season may the Force (and the passion) be with us…


No comments:

Post a Comment